WeAreBlackForest.com is a online publication serving the Black Forest community. We feature articles, interviews, links, videos and Black Forest history of interest to local residents.
Above: the Black Forest Community Club Hall, dedicated in 1929, sits at the corner of Shoup Road and Black Forest Road
Black Forest, Colorado, sits at approximately 7500 feet above sea level. It extends 12 miles east and west, nine miles north and south from the corner of Black Forest and Shoup Roads. Black Forest includes 192,000 acres of Ponderosa Pine. From 1855 to 1875, 16 logging mills furnished ties for the Denver & Rio Grand and Kansas & Pacific Railroads. The first settlers were the Ute Indians and others. The Black Forest was named by early pioneers who noted the dark color from a distance. — Black Forest Men’s Civic Association 1962